Saturday, October 29, 2016

Film Review : Doctor Strange



Dear All, 

Now I want to review my next film. To be honest I don't even have a feeling that I am gonna watch Doctor Strange in its opening weekend. Suddenly my sister just ask me to accompany her to watch the movie together with her friends. So here I go 

Doctor Strange is one of Marvel Super Hero franchise. One can expect it will be great because Marvel have good track record for their movies. The main character is Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr Stephen Strange. I know Benedict Cumberbatch from Star Trek Into Darkness, so I kind of have an idea about the acting. Back to the story, I try to avoid spoiler (hope I can do it). Dr Strange is famous neuro surgeon that quite narcisstic. One day he get an accident and lose his hand nerves. Therefore, he cannot become neuro surgeon anymore. Because of this accident, somehow he go to Kathmandu and meet with earth supreme sorcerer. And the rest as they say is history. 




The best part about this movie is its visual effect and asian style focus. Usually super hero story take place in western country, so it is quite fresh to see it in India and Hong Kong. The opening itself is quite intriguing. Really make people want to know more about who doing what. The story itself was quite good but nothing spectacular. They try to make it funny with witty jokes right here and there. But don't know why I don't find it quite funny. But according to my sister, it was very funny because she keep laughing beside me. So, one cannot say it was failure in that aspect. I watch it in IMAX 3D. And this is the first time I watch movie in IMAX 3D. I already watch move in SPHEREX (for people don't know, it was IMAX competitor). I don't find it special. Maybe I am just get used to it. 

Despite all the good, this movie still doesn't deliver what I expected from Marvel Super Hero movies. Don't know why but I don't sympathy with Dr Strange at all despite his tragic experience and Marvel was known for making sympathetic or charismatic characters. It must sound crazy but I feel more connection with the bad guy than Dr Strange. Some thing must be lost in this special character making. For people looking for big grand explosion, they're gonna be disappointed because it was quite anti climax the fight between Dr Strange and the big boss. The good thing about this anti climax fight is I think parents can bring their kids to watch this movie because I don't find the movie provocative nor emotional. Really just for fun movies. Overall, I find this movie quite good but not that amazing. For people who want quite different Super Hero movie from Marvel, I recommend this movie.

My ratings : 3.5 of 5


Regards, 
Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment